Sisterhood Stories – Conversation Ramblings

I had a conversation with my closest online friend the other day and it striked me that even if we’re oceans apart, and in different situations in our lives, we deal with the same issues.  We have the same fears, same kind of dreams and same observations of the inequity of it all.

Why does many talented, hard-working people get stuck and aren’t able to go forward and succeed while others breeze through it without any effort?  We’re talking about people we could compare to, not royalty or famous people.  And it seemed unfair.  That conversation, and an online article I read this morning, lead me to this post.

They say: “Success comes to those who work their asses off”, we do. Yet, we’re still waiting.  We’re not talking about world-wide recognition of some sort, just enough to have it easier.
While I believe that comparison is the thief of joy, how can one not compare itself to others? How do you make abstraction of it? How not to compare your work, your lifestyle, your knowledge. It’s sometimes unavoidable.

And then you compare yourself to the ones who have even less. You’re the one they are looking up to and they believe it’s unfair. You’re the one having it easy.
And then you go even further and think of the ones that, not just have less, but have close to nothing.  And do they look up to you and still think it’s unfair?  No.  Why?  They possess something we seem to have lost.  Joy.
Joy prevents you from greed, makes you humble, proud, and grateful.  Joy isn’t given to you, it has to come from within.  And that’s the tricky part.  Us, living in the comfort of our homes, think that happiness comes through material possessions, social standing.  We have forgotten about joy.

Life will always seem to be unequal from our standpoint, and as far as I know, it sometimes is.
Now don’t tell me God has a plan for us, or for them.  He wouldn’t be that unfair. And I wouldn’t believe you.  Humanity has made it’s own plan and we all struggle for a sweet piece of it.
And karma?  Karma will come around they also say.  Yet, it never does.

Though we tried to make sense of it all, the more we talked, the more messed up it got.  There obviously isn’t any right answer to those questions.

Isn’t that the greatest thing though? Having friends from around the world to chat with and discover the many similarities between your life and theirs. Between your dreams and theirs.  Trying to re-invent the wheel, to think of a better world.  To laugh or to cry.  To dream under the same big sky together. And maybe someday, to get to meet xox

This post is part of a blog circle,  visit my friend Audrey‘s blog and make your way around the circle.  Much love to you.

13 Comments on Sisterhood Stories – Conversation Ramblings

1. Laura Evans
    September 18, 2013 at 10:11 am (6 years ago)

your post is perfect & makes so much sense to me … feelings i go through on a regular basis. But then i am doing what i love & i know what day i will get there. Thank you for sharing.

• Isabelle Lafrance
      September 18, 2013 at 1:46 pm (6 years ago)

Yes, those thoughts seem to come and go. It’s like a circle. Hopefully it makes us better in the long run xox

2. Elena
    September 18, 2013 at 12:09 pm (6 years ago)

Dearest friend,

you brought tears to my eyes. You are right, sometimes we forget about those things that bring us joy… friendship, for instance. I am blessed to have established a soul connection with such a kind hearted, smart and more than special person. Thank you for the inspiration you constantly give me – not only from an artistic point of view… xoxo

• Isabelle Lafrance
      September 18, 2013 at 1:47 pm (6 years ago)

Blessed to be your friend as well xox

3. Jill Moore
    September 18, 2013 at 4:52 pm (6 years ago)

This is just wonderful Isabelle – I have read it three times now and it is exactly how I feel. I especially love what you say about comparison. Its so easy to get disheartened through comparison, which is why it is so nice to have the support of groups such as this. And joy – so right – the older the get the less important things are and the more joy I find in simple things, like a chat with a friend. Thank you, your blog is a gift.

• Isabelle Lafrance
      September 20, 2013 at 7:35 am (6 years ago)

We just can’t help it, we have to compare ourselves to others. It’s how we use that knowledge to move on that counts. Thanks for your comment Jill xox

4. Claudia
    September 18, 2013 at 8:49 pm (6 years ago)

Very true words, Isabelle. It seems to be current conception that one always has to have more, get better, more expensive things – and while these new things may bring joy, it usually is not lasting. We always have to put ourselves into place, remember what is important and to enjoy ourselves and the people we surround us with. Those are the values that count and last. As you say ‘the joy from within – a close circle’…

• Isabelle Lafrance
      September 20, 2013 at 7:29 am (6 years ago)

Yes… Thanks for your comment Claudia xox

5. Amarie
    September 19, 2013 at 9:50 am (6 years ago)

I guess it’s just an inevitable part of the human struggle. But it definitely helps when we have others to go through it with.

• Isabelle Lafrance
      September 20, 2013 at 7:27 am (6 years ago)

It really does! Thanks for stopping by Audrey xox

6. Kay Maguire
    September 19, 2013 at 4:58 pm (6 years ago)

Isabelle, I had this conversation only today and you have basically summed up what I was thinking! We have to hope their is a right path for each of us and sometimes we need to learn certain lessons and go through experiences before we get where we want to be. A wonderful post and yes having friends across the world who share similar experiences etc makes things so much more interesting 🙂

• Isabelle Lafrance
      September 20, 2013 at 7:26 am (6 years ago)

You are right Kay, there is a path, sometimes we just don’t see it 🙂

7. Jessica Barone
    September 29, 2013 at 3:30 pm (6 years ago)

This was so inspiring I have a friend who I have spoken with about this exact thing. We end up laughing about it in the end because that’s just life. Thank goodness we have those friends to talk to!