Sisterhood Stories – Horizons

I’m just back from our family vacation and this year,  I had planned to widen my horizons photography-wise.  It’s no secret that landscape photography has always been the toughest for me.  I don’t know why,  I think that’s because I’m attracted to details.  So,  this vacation,  I made it my mission to experiment and take lots of landscape photos.  Get the bigger picture,  see large,  imagine what’s behind what I would usually frame.  I must say it was challenging,  I’m not a natural landscape photographer.  I even had a hard time shooting in horizontal,  vertical still being favored.  That’s how my mind works,  and even though I want to fight it,  sometimes I just can’t!  But I did,  for the sake of going through with my mission,  and I’m happy with the results.

I can see the difference in my landscape images and my fine art images.  My fine art requires more editing time to get the “mood” I want my photo to convey.  I still need to get it right on camera first though,  but even if it’s right I still need to play with it,  to create my own vision.  My landscape photos,  ask for more deliberate thought on my part,  before shooting.  But require way less editing time.  Nature is what it is,  for me.  No need to change colors,  just add contrast,  and dodge and burn to add dimension,  that’s about it.  It puts on a show by itself.

So,  here are some phootgraphs I took while on vacation.  The Côte-Nord in all it’s glory,  the majesty of the St-Lawrence river and of the Saguenay Fjord…

And here’s a slideshow of our fishing trip on Vimeo.

Côte-Nord 2013 from Isabelle Lafrance on Vimeo.

This post is part of a blog circle, please visit Sue’s blog and leave some love along the way…

11 Comments on Sisterhood Stories – Horizons

1. Boo
    August 21, 2013 at 12:03 pm (6 years ago)

Glorious landscapes – I love that you keep a connection with us and the land and the sky though! And well done on that gorgeous star scape!!!

• Isabelle Lafrance
      August 21, 2013 at 6:52 pm (6 years ago)

2. Kay Maguire
    August 21, 2013 at 3:26 pm (6 years ago)

wonderful collection of shots from your vacation! Looks like you had a wonderful time and had no trouble mastering landscape photography 🙂

• Isabelle Lafrance
      August 21, 2013 at 6:51 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you Kay!

3. Sue
    August 21, 2013 at 5:34 pm (6 years ago)

Simply stunning – and you’re right, why over edit something that’s so naturally breathtaking? I love the slide show too. What’s the sound track? it’s beautiful. 🙂

• Isabelle Lafrance
      August 21, 2013 at 6:51 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you Sue! Music is Land of the Loon, by Dan Gibson 🙂

4. Elena
    August 24, 2013 at 1:36 pm (6 years ago)

These landscapes are simply amazing, dear Isabelle 🙂 Doing something different than macros or fine-art photography is very difficult for me as well, so I hear you about this challenge… but I think you did a wonderful job! I especially love the sky-at-night capture. And I believe it’s the first time I see a picture of your husband, too – lovely family shots! I’m sure your boys had so much fun! Was the whale anyway scary? xoxo

5. Claudia
    August 25, 2013 at 9:18 am (6 years ago)

I think you did a great (!) job on the landscapes. I especially like no. 3 and 6 from the top. Keep taking and posting them, please.

6. Karrie
    August 25, 2013 at 9:51 am (6 years ago)

Gorgeous landscape scenes! Love the deep blue hues of the sky and water. The night sky with the stars is by far my favorite, so lovely! Glad you all had a good time on your vacation 🙂

7. elizabeth england
    August 25, 2013 at 1:14 pm (6 years ago)

Lovely images, every one. But that seascape with the low hanging sky…wow. Nice work.

8. Jessica Barone
    August 27, 2013 at 8:17 am (6 years ago)

Lovely images! Landscapes are new to me shooting wise, I love the clear open feel your images show. That night sky shoot is amazing!